Thursday, August 27, 2009

Queensrÿche: Probably still My Favorite Band ever

Queensrÿche: American Progressive Metal Band. Formed 1981 in Bellevue, Washington.

I can distinctly remember hearing a song played for the first time on my local radio station while I was pumping gas at the local Maverick. The song was called, "Sign of the Times," and I remember thinking to myself that it was kinda catchy. Afterwards, the DJ mentioned that it was the latest single from Queensrÿche. I was sure I had heard that name before.

Weeks later, at my friend Scott Earl's house, we were watching rock DVDs and he asked if we wanted to watch a Queensrÿche DVD. I was shocked at how many of the songs I already knew and really enjoyed. The rest is history. One of the best shows I have ever seen was a Queensrÿche/Dream Theater show in Seattle. The day before I sold my last drum set, I played all the way through 4 of their albums.
Queensrÿche is most famous for their albums, "Operation Mindcrime" and "Empire." They are also responsible for creating one of my Favorite rock/metal logos... the "Trirÿche." The Trirÿche is the bat-man looking symbol you see above on the cover of their Empire album. I have painted this symbol on more than a few denim jackets and drum heads, as well as on the wall in my drum room.

If you ask me, Queensrÿche is one of the best bands around. Great writing, outstanding vocals and some of my favorite drums to play along to. Not to mention some of my favorite Guitar Harmonies. One of my fondest memories is the summer of '98 while working at Pizza Hut as a delivery driver. I remember making the most perfect Queensrÿche mix tapes ever with a couple live tracks added in. It was blue... and it was awesome.

Members:
Geoff Tate: Vocals
Scott Rockenfield: Drums
Eddie Jackson: Bass
Michael Wilton: Guitar
Chris DeGarmo: Guitar (not currently)

Albums:
Queensrÿche (1983) I was only 2 years old!
The Warning (1984) Same year as Van Halen's "Jump."
Rage For Order (1986)
Operation: Mindcrime (1988)
Empire (1990)
Promised Land (1994)
Hear in the Now Frontier (1997)
Q2K (1999) That album really grew on me
Tribe (2003)
Operation: Mindcrime 2 (2006)
Take Cover (2007)
American Soldier (2009)


Here is a song you probably know... and one you maybe don't. Check 'em out. I love these guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment