Friday, August 7, 2009

Running Up That Hill- Metal meets the O.C.

If you are like me, you couldn't help but feel the raw emotion during the final season of The O.C. when Ryan, after Marissa's death, was FORCED to engage in the dark and violent cage-fighting underworld of Newport. If you did, you may also remember the song that was playing during that sequence. I remember it. And, I remember thinking to myself: "that's a cool song." Well, it is. And, while the original version is by Kate Bush, there are quite a few covers of it. My favorite is the "Placebo" version.

I found this version intriguing simply because it is by Gothic Metal band "Within Temptation." Not my favorite band in the world, but pretty good. As far as this version/video... when it fired up, right out of the gate I was thinking: "this really sucks." But, I kept watching. And now, after watching it 5-6 times, my conclusion is that it's walks very close to the edge of sucking... but it doesn't fall off. I dunno. I think it's an interesting take and is not the worst ever. I actually kinda dig it. And, I'm going to give "Within Temptation" the benefit of the doubt and assume that they have already thought of most of the criticisms I may come up with. I am also assuming that this version is exactly what they wanted it to be. In that case, if every aspect of this song is intentional and they liked it that way, it's interesting to get a peak into their style and interpretation of this song... blah blah blah... watch the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment